Most conscious glitter consumers are waking up to the news plastic glitter is bad for them and the environment, so they are switching to more eco-friendly alternatives. But how good are these new alternatives? Can they really fix the problems caused by standard glitter?
In recent times we are learning that plastic based glitter is terrible for the environment. In order to face this issue many manufacturers are proposing PLA glitter or compostable glitter as the ideal replacement. Glitter consumers should really know what is PLA and compostable glitter before choosing a new type of glitter.
What Is PLA?
- One of the ‘eco-friendly’ alternatives being proposed to standard glitter is PLA glitter, but people should know that PLA is just another type of plastic. It is a polymer made from high levels of polylactic acid (PLA) molecules. So, essentially, PLA is plastic!
- PLA glitter manufacturers claim their glitter is compostable, but only if the consumer has access to the high heat of industrial composting and that is very rare to have for regular people.
- PLA is not biodegradable, regardless of what many people may claim. In fact, PLA glitter is as bad for the environment as standard plastic glitter. You can learn more here.
What Is Compostable Glitter?
- Another alternative to standard glitter is compostable glitter. Although it is often being proposed as a bio-glitter, consumers should know that for compostable glitter to biodegrade it needs an environment not find in nature. Man made compostable plants are needed to achieve the perfect temperature, the right pressure and the proper bacteria environment.
- Most glitter consumers just jump into the shower or use the sink every time they want to wash glitter off their bodies, no one takes glitter piece by piece to a compostable terrain for it to biodegrade, thinking that something like that will happen is very unrealistic.
- So essentially compostable glitter is useful, claiming it is biodegradable is misleading and it causes conscious consumers to still hurt the environment. People should always remember that compostable glitter does not biodegrade in nature.
What Is a Proper Bio-glitter?
- The only way to guarantee biodegradation in any environment is through the freshwater test. What this test does is to evaluate the biodegradability levels of glitter, a proper bio-glitter should naturally biodegrade around 90% or more.
- Glitter consumers should check their glitter passes this test and shows the results, that is the only way to be 100% sure it is naturally biodegradable. Also, a bio-glitter should only use plant-derived materials.
- So far the brand Bioglitter is the only glitter that can be referred to as a proper bio-glitter. It replaced the core polyester (plastic) film with natural ingredients, specifically with a special type of cellulose made from eucalyptus trees.
10 Reasons to Switch to this Environmentally Friendly Bio-glitter
The new Bioglitter product (Bioglitter PURE) is getting eco-credentials that have never been achieved by any other glitter, including:
- It is the first 100% plastic free glitter in history!
- It is 100% aluminum free, which is the FDA requirement for use on lips.
- It uses a new environmentally friendly coating based on natural resins.
- It holds the OK Biodegradable WATER Certification, which guarantees biodegradation in any environment.
- It feels softer on the consumer’s skin due to its natural ingredients.
- It recently won prestigious awards, like the PCHI Fountain Awards China 2019 and Gold for innovation at the In-cosmetics Awards in 2018.
- It can be used in many ways, like cosmetics and household, coating, printing and decorative applications.
- It is verified as micro-plastic free according to the ECHA Microplastic Proposal, Jan 2019.
- It holds the certification for having 100% Biobased Carbon Content (Beta Analytic).
- It complies with all current and future micro-plastics legislation, and also with all cosmetic and rinse off regulations.
Get it Blue Sun International
- Once glitter consumers are aware of the options a proper bio-glitter can offer, they will definitely try to switch to Bioglitter, and it will be the retailer’s responsibility to make it available for them.
- Blue Sun International is the only authorized reseller of the Bioglitter products in the US.
- Getting glitter from Blue Sun International is a guarantee for consumers they are getting the real deal, especially after knowing what is PLA and the damage it causes to the environment. Bioglitter represents top innovation in the glitter industry.